What Psychological Changes occur in Pregnancy?
Mood swings, anxiety, and stress are common psychological changes during pregnancy.
Changes in the body image, hormones and one’s attitude towards cultural pressures and expectations lead to emotional changes in pregnancy.
Psychological Changes in the First Trimester of Pregnancy include -
- Mood swings
- Feeling irritable and snappish
- Panic attacks and feelings of anxiety
- Bouts of feeling unsure and panicky
- Extreme reactions to minor things and even crying
- Heightened stress and anxiety due to the fear of miscarriage, especially if there is a previous history of miscarriage
Psychological Changes in the Second Trimester of Pregnancy include -
- A sense of general well-being develops as the fear of miscarriage disappears and the physical discomforts of the first trimester have diminished
- Worry about the weight gain
- Self-doubts and lowering of self-image
Psychological Changes in the Third Trimester of Pregnancy include -
- Increased anxiety and concern about labor and the delivery, especially in first-time mothers
- Difficulty in concentration at the task in hand
- Anxiety about the baby’s health
- Experiencing strange dreams
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Trupti Shirole. (2019, December 18). What Psychological Changes Occur in Pregnancy?. Medindia. Retrieved on May 29, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/what-psychological-changes-occur-in-pregnancy.htm.
Dr. Trupti Shirole. "What Psychological Changes Occur in Pregnancy?". Medindia. May 29, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/what-psychological-changes-occur-in-pregnancy.htm>.
Dr. Trupti Shirole. "What Psychological Changes Occur in Pregnancy?". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/what-psychological-changes-occur-in-pregnancy.htm. (accessed May 29, 2022).
Dr. Trupti Shirole. 2021. What Psychological Changes Occur in Pregnancy?. Medindia, viewed May 29, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/what-psychological-changes-occur-in-pregnancy.htm.
Do you wish to consult an Obstetricians and Gynecologists (OB/GYN) for your problem? Ask your question
3 years experience
Neo mother and child care clinic, Khurram nagar
Chennai Diabetes And Endocrine Clinic, Near Lamech School
10 years experience
Ram Murti Hospital, Katka padaw