What is the Basic Principle Of Zone Diet?
The Zone Diet optimizes the body's metabolic function. It helps to burn the body fat through the regulation of blood sugar. The basic principles of the Zone Diet are as follows-
The Zone Diet is also called the 40:30:30 diet plan, since the proportion of carbohydrates, proteins and fat has to be in that ratio respectively.
- The amount of protein at each meal should be equal to the size and thickness of the dieters palm.
- The portion size for carbohydrates can be determined by curling the hands into two loose fists.
- The amount of fats in a meal equals the size of the tip of the thumb.
The Zone Diet comprises eating 3 meals and 2 snacks per day.
- Breakfast should be taken within an hour of waking up.
- A snack should be taken 4-5 hours following the breakfast.
- Lunch should follow 2 hours later.
- Again a snack should be taken after 4-5 hours.
- Dinner should be taken 2 hours after the snack.
Drinking lots of water is important as burning fat is a dehydrating process.
Vitamin and mineral supplementation are necessary to provide the body with the essential nutrients.
Alcohol and caffeinated beverages should be avoided when on a Zone Diet, as alcohol increases the insulin level and caffeine leads to insulin resistance.