Bleeding gums is a condition in whichblood leaks from the gums and the spaces between the teeth. It is mainly due toinadequate plaque removal from the teeth at the gum line. Bleeding gums can be detrimental to the overallhealth.
Bleedinggums is one of the most common conditions affecting the oral cavity. TheChinese noticed bleeding gums as early as 2500 BC. They termed the associateddiseases as ‘Ya-Kon’ which meansdiseases of the soft tissue surrounding the teeth.
Bleedinggums indicates a slowly progressing disease of the gums, which may furtherinvolve the bone supporting the teeth and ultimately result in tooth loss. Inaddition to bleeding, the patient often has pain and bad breath.
Thecauses of bleeding gums vary from local conditions like inflammation of thegums and trauma, to conditions affecting the whole body like vitamin C orvitamin K deficiency, the use of blood thinning medications, or even leukemia.
The gums stop bleeding following treatment of theunderlying condition. The patient is advised to maintain good oral hygiene.Local astringent solutions may provide some relief.
Latest Publications and Research on Bleeding Gums
- Comparison of self-rated oral symptoms and periodontal status among cigarette smokers and individuals using electronic nicotine delivery systems. - Published by PubMed
- Evaluation of surgical scalpel versus semiconductor diode laser techniques in the management of gingival melanin hyperpigmentation: A split-mouth randomized clinical comparative study. - Published by PubMed
- What are the self-reported unmet dental treatment needs of people living with HIV in British Columbia? A case of minority subpopulation in Canada. - Published by PubMed
- Application of platelet-rich fibrin membrane and collagen dressing as palatal bandage for wound healing: A randomized clinical control trial. - Published by PubMed
- [Severe Thrombocitopenia Induced by Fenofibrate]. - Published by PubMed
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Trupti Shirole. (2020, September 03). Bleeding Gums - Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment. Medindia. Retrieved on May 23, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/what-is-bleeding-gums.htm.
Dr. Trupti Shirole. "Bleeding Gums - Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment". Medindia. May 23, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/what-is-bleeding-gums.htm>.
Dr. Trupti Shirole. "Bleeding Gums - Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/what-is-bleeding-gums.htm. (accessed May 23, 2022).
Dr. Trupti Shirole. 2021. Bleeding Gums - Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment. Medindia, viewed May 23, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/what-is-bleeding-gums.htm.
Do you wish to consult a Dentist for your problem? Ask your question
20 years experience
Suraksha dental hospital , Near shyam complex