The most commonly occurring symptoms are -
- A strong persistent urge to urinate
- Frequent urination
- Painful, burning feeling in the urethra during urination.
- Often, women feel an uncomfortable pressure above the pubic bone, and some men experience fullness in the rectum
- The urine itself maybe foul smelling, cloudy or reddish if blood is present
More specific symptoms include -
- Acute pyelonephritis- flank pain, high fever, severe chills, night sweating and nausea or vomiting.
- Cystitis- pressure in the lower abdomen and strong-smelling urine
- Urethritis- pus in the urine. In men, urethritis may cause penile discharge.