Symptoms of Rheumatoid Arthritis
Rheumatoid arthritis can start in any joint, but it most commonly begins in the smaller joints of fingers, hands and wrists. Joint involvement is usually symmetrical i.e. if a joint hurts on the left hand the same joint will hurt on the right hand.
Symptoms related to the joints include:
- Pain - Pain is present both at rest and during movement. The intensity of pain is felt more during movement than at rest. The pain is dull natured.
- Tenderness - Tenderness is present over the affected joints and can be caused by a gentle pressure on the affected area by means of touch or pressure of clothes.
- Morning stiffness - The joints become stiff especially after waking up in the morning.
- Loss of movement in joint and joint deformity - Over a period of time, joints may lose their range of motion and may become deformed.
Systemic symptoms may include:
- Loss of energy
- Lack of appetite
- Low grade fever
- Chest pain while breathing in
- Dry eyes and mouth (Sjogren’s syndrome)
- Burning and itching of the eye; and discharge from the eye
- Nodules beneath the skin
- Numbness, tingling or burning in the hands and feet
- Sleep disturbances
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Trupti Shirole. (2021, July 28). Symptoms of Rheumatoid Arthritis. Medindia. Retrieved on May 26, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/what-are-the-symptoms-of-rheumatoid-arthritis.htm.
Dr. Trupti Shirole. "Symptoms of Rheumatoid Arthritis". Medindia. May 26, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/what-are-the-symptoms-of-rheumatoid-arthritis.htm>.
Dr. Trupti Shirole. "Symptoms of Rheumatoid Arthritis". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/what-are-the-symptoms-of-rheumatoid-arthritis.htm. (accessed May 26, 2022).
Dr. Trupti Shirole. 2021. Symptoms of Rheumatoid Arthritis. Medindia, viewed May 26, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/what-are-the-symptoms-of-rheumatoid-arthritis.htm.
Do you wish to consult a Rheumatologist for your problem? Ask your question
37 years experience
Apollo Sugar Clinic, Patturaikkal