What are the Symptoms of Leptospirosis?
The incubation period of leptospirosis ranges from 2-26 days. This disease is seen in two phases-
The first or septicemic or leptospiremic phase lasts for 4-9 days. Symptoms include-
- Sudden onset of headache on the forehead, around the temples and eyes
- Fever with chills, temperatures exceed 39 degrees centigrade
- Severe muscle aches (especially in the calf, abdomen and paraspinal region muscles)
- Redness of the eyes (characteristic)
- Abdominal pain
- Hemorrhages in the skin and mucous membranes
8-10 days after infection, the Leptospira bacteria can be detected in the blood and cerebrospinal fluid. In the second or immune phase the body begins to produce antibodies- substance (protein) produced by the body to fight the bacterial invasion. This phase is also known as Weil’s syndrome if there is liver and kidney involvement. The immune phase is characterized by-
- High fever with evidence of involvement of the brain.
- Meningitis- headache, fever, photophobia and nuchal rigidity
- This disease can also affect the nerves in the body such as the optic nerve (the nerve to the eye), the nerves to the face and ear- Optic neuritis, uveitis, iridocyclitis, chorioretinitis, and peripheral neuropathy
- Hemorrhagic pneumonia
- Hepatic dysfunction
- Renal insufficiency
- Bleeding tendencies
- Multiple organ failure
- Hemorrhagic pulmonary infiltration
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Trupti Shirole. (2014, September 23). What are the Symptoms of Leptospirosis?. Medindia. Retrieved on May 27, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/what-are-the-symptoms-of-leptospirosis.htm.
Dr. Trupti Shirole. "What are the Symptoms of Leptospirosis?". Medindia. May 27, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/what-are-the-symptoms-of-leptospirosis.htm>.
Dr. Trupti Shirole. "What are the Symptoms of Leptospirosis?". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/what-are-the-symptoms-of-leptospirosis.htm. (accessed May 27, 2022).
Dr. Trupti Shirole. 2021. What are the Symptoms of Leptospirosis?. Medindia, viewed May 27, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/what-are-the-symptoms-of-leptospirosis.htm.
Do you wish to consult a General Medicine Doctor / Internal Medicine Doctor for your problem? Ask your question
8 years experience
VST Sakthi Hospital, Near Thiruvarur Temp
40 years experience
Dr.Jagdish Rajaram clinic, Viman Nagar