Symptoms and Signs of Diabetes in Pets
Symptoms of diabetes in pets are excessive eating and drinking
Typical symptoms observed in a pet with diabetes are:
- Excessive urination
- Drinking excessive water
- Eating extra food
- Weight loss
It is necessary to diagnose diabetes in pets to treat it early and thereby prevent complications. Diabetes can affect virtually every organ. Common complications of diabetes in pets are:
- Infections: Since diabetes affects immunity, the animals may suffer from infections of the skin and the urinary tract.
- Cataract formation: Untreated diabetes is commonly associated with cataract in pets, which results in loss of vision.
- Nerve damage: Diabetes affects nerve function and may result in difficulty in walking and other symptoms.
- Hypoglycemia: An excessive dose of insulin can result in low blood sugar levels. On the other hand, a normal dose of insulin that is not followed by the normal amount of food can also result in hypoglycemia. The pet may show signs of shivering, restlessness and may even go into coma. The animal should be treated with glucose water orally; excessive water should be avoided to prevent aspiration. Contact the veterinary doctor as soon as possible.
- Diabetic ketoacidosis or hyperglycemic hyperosmolar non-ketotic syndrome: These serious conditions are a consequence of very high blood sugar levels. The animal may also go into coma if it is not treated on time.
- How to Give Insulin to a Dog - (http://pets.webmd.com/dogs/how-to-give-a-dog-insulin)
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Simi Paknikar. (2020, October 21). Symptoms and Signs of Diabetes in Pets. Medindia. Retrieved on May 21, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/what-are-the-symptoms-and-signs-of-diabetes-in-pets.htm.
Dr. Simi Paknikar. "Symptoms and Signs of Diabetes in Pets". Medindia. May 21, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/what-are-the-symptoms-and-signs-of-diabetes-in-pets.htm>.
Dr. Simi Paknikar. "Symptoms and Signs of Diabetes in Pets". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/what-are-the-symptoms-and-signs-of-diabetes-in-pets.htm. (accessed May 21, 2022).
Dr. Simi Paknikar. 2021. Symptoms and Signs of Diabetes in Pets. Medindia, viewed May 21, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/what-are-the-symptoms-and-signs-of-diabetes-in-pets.htm.
Do you wish to consult a Diabetologist for your problem? Ask your question
2 years experience
Aram clinic , Kattankulathur