What are the Indications of Lung Biopsy?
Lung biopsy is performed to inspect for abnormal changes in the lungs.
Lung biopsy is advised for-
- Diagnosis of lumps or nodules that appears on chest x-ray, to see if they are benign or malignant.
- Diagnosis of a lung infection like tuberculosis or pneumonia.
- Accumulation of fluid in the pleural cavity.
- Diagnosis of sarcoidosis, Granulomatosis with Polyangiitis, rheumatoid lung disease or pulmonary fibrosis.
- Diagnosis lung cancer and help determine the stage of a known case of lung cancer.
- Persistent single or multiple focal infiltrates, for which no diagnosis has been made by sputum or blood culture, serology or bronchoscopy.