What are the Healthy Foods for Pregnant Women?
Eating a wide variety of foods ensures that the nutritional needs of both mother and baby are met.
Recommended daily servings include -
- 6-11 servings of breads and grains
- 2-4 servings of fruit
- 4 or more servings of vegetables
- 4 servings of dairy products
- 3 servings of protein sources
The diet should comprise of -
- Milk and milk products like curd, buttermilk and cottage cheese; as these foods are rich in calcium, vitamin B12 and proteins.
- Fruits and vegetables provide essential vitamins, minerals and fiber. A common problem during pregnancy is constipation. Therefore the diet should contain plenty of fibers in the form of whole fruits and vegetables, whole grain cereals, vegetable soups and whole pulses. It is important to eat one good source of vitamin C like oranges, grapefruits, strawberries, papaya, broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, green peppers, tomatoes or mustard greens.
- Green leafy vegetables are a good source of folic acid.
- Wholegrain breads, lentils, nuts, seeds and cereals are a good source of proteins for vegetarians.
- Lean meat, chicken and fish (low in mercury) provide proteins.
- Fluids- Drink plenty of fluids, especially water and fresh fruit juices. It keeps the body hydrated, prevents constipation, hemorrhoids and flushes out any toxins from the body. Avoid packaged juices as they have very high sugar content.