Health Benefits of Drinking Green Tea
Health benefits of drinking green tea are plenty. Some of them are given below.
- EGCG in green tea inhibits the growth of cancer cells as well as kills cancer cells without harming healthy tissue.
- EGCG is effective in lowering LDL cholesterol levels. Drinking green tea lowers total cholesterol levels, as well as improving the ratio of good (HDL) cholesterol to bad (LDL) cholesterol.
- EGCG inhibits the abnormal formation of blood clots, which is the leading cause of heart attacks and stroke.
- Green tea strengthens the immune system.
- Drinking green tea improves blood-vessel functioning in patients with coronary heart disease.
- Green tea can help in weight loss by burning calories. In 1999, researchers at the University of Geneva in Switzerland found that men who were given a combination of caffeine and green tea extract burned more calories than those who were given only caffeine or a placebo.
- According to the Journal of the National Cancer Institute published in 1994, drinking green tea reduced the risk of esophageal cancer in Chinese men and women by nearly sixty percent.
- Drinking green tea helps prevent tooth decay. It kills bacteria that cause dental plaque.
- Green tea has bacteria-destroying abilities and can help prevent food poisoning.
- Drinking green tea helps soothe a sore throat.
- A cold compress soaked in green tea helps soothe sunburn.
- The polyphenol found in green tea acts as a radiation-resistance agent.
- Tea leaves contain fluoride and phytoestrogens, which may increase bone density and help prevent osteoporosis.
- Green tea lixivium contains hypoglycemic agents like polysaccharide (glucose, gum sugar and ribose), catechin substance and diphenylamine. Vitamin B1 and C in green tea boosts metabolism of blood sugar of human body. Drinking green tea daily can reduce the level of blood sugar and protect from hyperglycemia and diabetes.(3✔ ✔Trusted Source
Beneficial Effects of Green Tea: A Literature Review
Go to source)
- About Green Tea - (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10956382)
- Green Tea - (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_tea)
- Beneficial Effects of Green Tea: A Literature Review - (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2855614/)
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Trupti Shirole. (2020, January 25). Health Benefits of Drinking Green Tea. Medindia. Retrieved on Nov 30, 2023 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/what-are-the-health-benefits-of-drinking-green-tea.htm.
Dr. Trupti Shirole. "Health Benefits of Drinking Green Tea". Medindia. Nov 30, 2023. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/what-are-the-health-benefits-of-drinking-green-tea.htm>.
Dr. Trupti Shirole. "Health Benefits of Drinking Green Tea". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/what-are-the-health-benefits-of-drinking-green-tea.htm. (accessed Nov 30, 2023).
Dr. Trupti Shirole. 2020. Health Benefits of Drinking Green Tea. Medindia, viewed Nov 30, 2023, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/what-are-the-health-benefits-of-drinking-green-tea.htm.
Request an Appointment with a Doctor (Nutrition Expert)
6 years experience
Freelancer, Mylapore, Chennai
10 years experience
3 years experience
., Iduvai, Tiruppur
5 years experience