What are the Effects of Teratogenic Drugs on the Fetus?
Teratogenic drugs can cause birth defects including cleft lip, cleft palate, and organ deformities.
Effects of some common teratogenic drugs are listed below-
- Tetracyclines- Discolored and deformed teeth, retarded bone growth
- Isoretinoin- Craniofacial, heart and brain defects
- NSAIDS- Premature closure of ductus arteriosus
- Anti-cancer drugs- Cleft palate, underdevelopment, mental retardation; or fetal death
- Anti-seizure medications- Spina bifida, organ deformities, cleft palate, and facial defects
- Androgens- Masculization of the female fetus
- Lithium- Fetal goitre, cardiac and other abnormalities
- Thalidomide- Phocomelia (short or absent long bones of the limbs), multiple birth defects
- Warfarin- Nose, eye and hand defects; growth retardation