What are the Effects of Teratogenic Drugs on the Fetus?
Teratogenic drugs can cause birth defects including cleft lip, cleft palate, and organ deformities.
Effects of some common teratogenic drugs are listed below-
- Tetracyclines- Discolored and deformed teeth, retarded bone growth
- Isoretinoin- Craniofacial, heart and brain defects
- NSAIDS- Premature closure of ductus arteriosus
- Anti-cancer drugs- Cleft palate, underdevelopment, mental retardation; or fetal death
- Anti-seizure medications- Spina bifida, organ deformities, cleft palate, and facial defects
- Androgens- Masculization of the female fetus
- Lithium- Fetal goitre, cardiac and other abnormalities
- Thalidomide- Phocomelia (short or absent long bones of the limbs), multiple birth defects
- Warfarin- Nose, eye and hand defects; growth retardation
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Trupti Shirole. (2016, April 22). What are the Effects of Teratogenic Drugs on the Fetus?. Medindia. Retrieved on May 20, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/what-are-the-effects-of-teratogenic-drugs-on-the-fetus.htm.
Dr. Trupti Shirole. "What are the Effects of Teratogenic Drugs on the Fetus?". Medindia. May 20, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/what-are-the-effects-of-teratogenic-drugs-on-the-fetus.htm>.
Dr. Trupti Shirole. "What are the Effects of Teratogenic Drugs on the Fetus?". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/what-are-the-effects-of-teratogenic-drugs-on-the-fetus.htm. (accessed May 20, 2022).
Dr. Trupti Shirole. 2021. What are the Effects of Teratogenic Drugs on the Fetus?. Medindia, viewed May 20, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/what-are-the-effects-of-teratogenic-drugs-on-the-fetus.htm.