What Are The Different Diagnostic Tests For SARS?
Chest x-ray, blood cultures, and tests to detect viral pathogens are helpful in diagnosing SARS.
Tests to diagnose SARS include:
- Chest X-ray (CXR) or chest CT scan: In most people with SARS, changes on CXR or chest CT show pneumonia.
- Enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA) test: This test detects antibodies to SARS reliably, but only 21 days after the onset of symptoms.
- Immunofluorescence assay: This test can detect antibodies 10 days after the onset of the disease.
- Reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) test: SARS-CoV can be detected in clinical specimens such as blood, stool and nasal secretions with the help of this test.
- Antibody tests for SARS: Serologic testing also can be performed to detect SARS-CoV antibodies produced after infection.
- Viral culture and direct isolation of the SARS virus: For a viral culture, a small sample of tissue or fluid that may be infected is placed in a container along with cells in which the virus can grow. If the virus grows in the culture, it will cause changes in the cells that can be seen under a microscope.
- Serologic testing : A serologic test is a laboratory method for detecting the presence and/or level of antibodies to an infectious agent in serum from a person.
Blood clotting tests
- Complete blood count (CBC): White blood cell (neutrophils and lymphocytes) and platelet counts are often low.
All current tests have some limitations. They may not be able to easily identify a SARS case during the first week of the illness, when it is most important.
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Trupti Shirole. (2021, December 18). What Are The Different Diagnostic Tests For SARS?. Medindia. Retrieved on May 18, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/what-are-the-different-diagnostic-tests-for-sars.htm.
Dr. Trupti Shirole. "What Are The Different Diagnostic Tests For SARS?". Medindia. May 18, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/what-are-the-different-diagnostic-tests-for-sars.htm>.
Dr. Trupti Shirole. "What Are The Different Diagnostic Tests For SARS?". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/what-are-the-different-diagnostic-tests-for-sars.htm. (accessed May 18, 2022).
Dr. Trupti Shirole. 2021. What Are The Different Diagnostic Tests For SARS?. Medindia, viewed May 18, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/what-are-the-different-diagnostic-tests-for-sars.htm.
Do you wish to consult a Pulmonologist for your problem? Ask your question
14 years experience
Ramayana Healthcare And Diagnostics , Vasant Kunj
12 years experience
MISHAY HOSPITAL, GOTRI