Last Updated on Jul 28, 2021

What are the Causes of Urinary Tract Infection (UTI)?

UTI's are caused by microbes, including fungi, viruses and bacteria. However, bacteria (Escherichia coli) are the most common cause of UTI.

  • The most common cause of UTI is bacteria from the bowel that lives on the skin near the rectum or in the vagina which can spread and enter the urinary tract. Usually bacteria enter the urethra and then the bladder, causing an infection, most commonly in the bladder itself, which can spread to the kidneys.
  • Sexual intercourse is a common cause of urinary tract infections and the female anatomy may make them more prone to infections. During sexual intercourse bacteria in the vaginal area could be massaged into the urethra by the motion of the penis. Women who change sexual partners may experience more frequent bladder infections.
  • Another cause of UTI is holding back urine. The bladder is a muscle that stretches to hold urine and contracts when the urine is released. Waiting long causes the bladder to stretch beyond its capacity which over a period of time can weaken the bladder muscle. When the bladder is weakened it may not empty completely and some urine is left in the bladder which may increase the risk of urinary tract infection or bladder infection.
Causes of Urinary Tract Infection
  • Another common source of infection is catheters or tubes placed in the bladder. (3,4)


  1. Urinary Tract Infection - (
  2. About Urinary Tract Infection - (
  3. How Do You Get Urinary Tract Infections? - (
  4. Urinary Tract Infection - Adults - (
  5. Urinary Tract Infection (UTI) - Including Symptoms, Treatment and Prevention - (
  6. Urinary Tract Infection - Adults - (
  7. Urinary Tract Infections (UTIs) - (
  8. What is a Urinary Tract Infection (UTI) in Adults? - (


scpathy Thursday, April 4, 2013

I am 79plus of age and I am a male.We went on ilgrimage to Shirdhi a month and half ago.On our return after a few days there was inconvenience in passing urine andlater blood was seen in the urine. I took urine culture report to a doctor who prescribed antibiotics for five days.There was relief. I took lot of water also.After a month again there was pus and the urine is little reddish but no foul smell.There is no appitite an I do not feel eating anything now.Please adivise me as to I shoul do? withregards

ADULT_DIAPERS Monday, March 5, 2012

I am 31 and have had 5-6 UTI's in the past 6 months. The first, second and third times they did a urine test and it showed UTI. Never had one before, am very clean and am not sexually active. Now I have seen a urologist and am waiting 3-4 weeks to get tests done. I have abdominal pain especially in lower left side, back pain, discomfort when peeing but not burning, and blood in urine. Can you tell me what it may be. I think I may have ovarian cysts or something. Any help would be appreciated.

@Guest Saturday, March 8, 2014

it is UTI and what you can do is to take in adequate diet with a lot of fluids and vitamin C. do not keep urine, void when needed.

ramesh4 Tuesday, September 20, 2011

does allergy will cause urinary infection

litermonica Monday, December 28, 2009

If you are experiencing any of the symptoms associated with Urinary Tract Infection, it is highly advised that you contact your specialized health care professional, as this condition needs to be treated immediately, before the infection can spread to other parts of the urinary tract.
See more on

In the case of Urinary Tract Infection, the treatment of choice is antibiotics.

vidya Friday, November 7, 2008

We should not ignore Urinary Tractinfection if it increases if affects kidney. we should drink lot of water during the day and should have check on our urinary pattern everyday. few years back when I got minor infection I consulted Dr. Manu Sobti in Hindusabha hospital Ghatkopar. He is realy fantastic doctor he thoroughly checked me even it was minor infection and I got relief permanently since then I advise all my friends to take care of urine infection I advise them to take treatment from Dr. sobti.

Do you wish to consult Urologist for your problem? Ask your question

Most Popular on Medindia