What are the Causes Of Torticollis?
The exact cause for torticollis is idiopathic (not known). However, it is most commonly seen in first-born children. Some of the most prominent pre-disposing factors for torticollis include
Congenital causes of torticollis
- Abnormal position of the head and neck of the baby, while in motherís uterus.
- Birth injury causing damage to neck muscles, bones and nerves.
- Inadequate blood supply to the babyís neck, while in motherís uterus.
- Due to inheritance of a defective gene.
Acquired causes of torticollis
- Neck injury / head trauma
- Neck sprain
- Tumor in the neck
- Severe neck burns
- Vigorous neck movement
- Bad neck posture
- Use of certain antipsychotic drugs, or neuroleptics
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Trupti Shirole. (2016, March 25). What are the Causes Of Torticollis?. Medindia. Retrieved on May 29, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/what-are-the-causes-of-torticollis.htm.
Dr. Trupti Shirole. "What are the Causes Of Torticollis?". Medindia. May 29, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/what-are-the-causes-of-torticollis.htm>.
Dr. Trupti Shirole. "What are the Causes Of Torticollis?". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/what-are-the-causes-of-torticollis.htm. (accessed May 29, 2022).
Dr. Trupti Shirole. 2021. What are the Causes Of Torticollis?. Medindia, viewed May 29, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/what-are-the-causes-of-torticollis.htm.