What are the Causes of Presbycusis?
Presbycusis most commonly occurs because of age-related changes.
Other changes include -
- Changes in the inner or middle ear or from complex changes along the nerve pathways leading to the brain.
- Changes in the blood supply to the ear because of heart disease, high blood pressure, vascular (pertaining to blood vessels) conditions caused by diabetes, or other circulatory problems.
- Side effects of some tablets or injections.
- Certain diseases like auto-immune diseases.
- Heredity - Age-related hearing loss tends to occur in families.
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Trupti Shirole. (2014, September 25). What are the Causes of Presbycusis?. Medindia. Retrieved on May 17, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/what-are-the-causes-of-presbycusis.htm.
Dr. Trupti Shirole. "What are the Causes of Presbycusis?". Medindia. May 17, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/what-are-the-causes-of-presbycusis.htm>.
Dr. Trupti Shirole. "What are the Causes of Presbycusis?". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/what-are-the-causes-of-presbycusis.htm. (accessed May 17, 2022).
Dr. Trupti Shirole. 2021. What are the Causes of Presbycusis?. Medindia, viewed May 17, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/what-are-the-causes-of-presbycusis.htm.
Do you wish to consult an Audiologist for your problem? Ask your question
7 years experience
Ear Health and habilitation centre, Anantnag
+ 1 more
5 years experience
Hearing.Care [ A Complete Speech and Hearing Centre] , Janglatmandi