What are the Causes of Presbycusis?
Presbycusis most commonly occurs because of age-related changes.
Other changes include -
- Changes in the inner or middle ear or from complex changes along the nerve pathways leading to the brain.
- Changes in the blood supply to the ear because of heart disease, high blood pressure, vascular (pertaining to blood vessels) conditions caused by diabetes, or other circulatory problems.
- Side effects of some tablets or injections.
- Certain diseases like auto-immune diseases.
- Heredity - Age-related hearing loss tends to occur in families.