What are the Causes of Migraine?
The underlying cause of migraine is still unknown. It is thought to run in families. Certain factors are known to trigger the attack.
Migraine attacks are triggered by-
- Stress and anxiety
- Lack of food or sleep
- Exposure to bright and flickering lights
- Menstruation, hormonal changes, use of oral contraceptives (in women)
- Certain foods like chocolate, cheese, red wine, onions, meat, smoked fish, foods containing monosodium glutamate (MSG) and alcohol can trigger an attack.
- Certain odors or perfumes
- Changes in the weather
- Excessive noise
- Smoking (active or passive)(3✔ ✔Trusted Source
Go to source, 4✔ ✔Trusted Source
Migraine - A-Z Health Topics
Go to source)
- What is migraine? - (https://www.migrainetrust.org/about-migraine/migraine-what-is-it/more-than-just-a-headache/)
- Botulinum toxin - (https://www.migrainetrust.org/living-with-migraine/treatments/botox/)
- Migraine - (https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/000709.htm)
- Migraine - A-Z Health Topics - (https://www.womenshealth.gov/a-z-topics/migraine)
- Migraine - Migraine Research Foundation - (https://migraineresearchfoundation.org/about-migraine/what-is-migraine/)
- What is a migraine headache? - (https://familydoctor.org/condition/migraines/)
- Treatment of Acute Migraine Headache - (https://www.aafp.org/afp/2011/0201/p271.html)
- The diagnosis and treatment of chronic migraine - (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4416971/)
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Trupti Shirole. (2020, February 27). What are the Causes of Migraine?. Medindia. Retrieved on May 19, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/what-are-the-causes-of-migraine.htm.
Dr. Trupti Shirole. "What are the Causes of Migraine?". Medindia. May 19, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/what-are-the-causes-of-migraine.htm>.
Dr. Trupti Shirole. "What are the Causes of Migraine?". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/what-are-the-causes-of-migraine.htm. (accessed May 19, 2022).
Dr. Trupti Shirole. 2021. What are the Causes of Migraine?. Medindia, viewed May 19, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/what-are-the-causes-of-migraine.htm.
Do you wish to consult a General Medicine Doctor / Internal Medicine Doctor for your problem? Ask your question
3 years experience
Communicable Disease Hospital, Anna nagar