What are the Causes of Migraine?
The underlying cause of migraine is still unknown. It is thought to run in families. Certain factors are known to trigger the attack.
Migraine attacks are triggered by-
- Stress and anxiety
- Lack of food or sleep
- Exposure to bright and flickering lights
- Menstruation, hormonal changes, use of oral contraceptives (in women)
- Certain foods like chocolate, cheese, red wine, onions, meat, smoked fish, foods containing monosodium glutamate (MSG) and alcohol can trigger an attack.
- Certain odors or perfumes
- Changes in the weather
- Excessive noise
- Smoking (active or passive)
- Botulinum toxin (Botox®) - (https://www.migrainetrust.org/living-with-migraine/treatments/botox/)