Causes of Ectopic Pregnancy
After ejaculation, the sperms travel from the vagina into the cervix, uterus and fallopian tubes to reach the ovary where fertilization takes place. The fertilized egg travels back into the uterus through the fallopian tube. Major cause of ectopic pregnancy is when the egg for some reason is unable to reach the uterus. These causes include:
- Birth defect in the fallopian tubes
- Previous ectopic pregnancy
- Scarring from past infections or surgery
The following women are at risk of ectopic pregnancy -
- Pregnancy after 35-years of age
- Getting pregnant while having an IUD (intrauterine device)
- Several induced abortions
- Tubal ligation
- In vitro fertilization (IVF)
- Use of medicines to stimulate ovulation
- Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID)
- Destruction of the uterine cavity lining
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Trupti Shirole. (2020, October 12). Causes of Ectopic Pregnancy. Medindia. Retrieved on May 26, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/what-are-the-causes-of-ectopic-pregnancy.htm.
Dr. Trupti Shirole. "Causes of Ectopic Pregnancy". Medindia. May 26, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/what-are-the-causes-of-ectopic-pregnancy.htm>.
Dr. Trupti Shirole. "Causes of Ectopic Pregnancy". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/what-are-the-causes-of-ectopic-pregnancy.htm. (accessed May 26, 2022).
Dr. Trupti Shirole. 2021. Causes of Ectopic Pregnancy. Medindia, viewed May 26, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/what-are-the-causes-of-ectopic-pregnancy.htm.