Causes of Clubfoot
The exact cause of clubfoot is not known, but the condition may be inherited.
The exact reason why clubfoot occurs is not known, but the condition may be inherited. The chance of having a clubfoot is doubled if either parent or elder siblings also have it.
Clubfoot may be linked to-
- Abnormality of the tendons and ligaments in the foot- This causes an abnormal structure and position of the foot.
- Abnormal bones- Bone abnormality in terms of shape, size, or position result in club foot.
- Maternal smoking during pregnancy.
- Abnormal positioning in the uterus during pregnancy. But this is not usually considered a ‘true’ club foot.
- Spinal deformities such as spina bifida or other neuromuscular diseases.