Causes of Blocked Tear Duct
Most of the tears are formed by the lacrimal glands, which are located above each eye. The tears flow down the surface of the eye to lubricate and protect it and then drain into the tear duct system through an opening (lacrimal punctum) located at the corners of the upper and lower eyelids. The tears eventually drain into the nose through the naso-lacrimal duct. A partial or complete blockage of the tear drainage system causes dacryostenosis.
Obstruction of the tear duct is caused by -
- Congenital abnormality - Many children are born with an underdeveloped tear-duct system or there may be a duct abnormality. Almost 20% of newborns are affected by this condition at birth.
- Bacterial infection of the duct
- Sinus or nasal infection, especially the long standing infections
- Eye infection
- Fracture of the nose or bones of the face
- Nasal polyps
- Nasal, sinus or lacrimal sac tumors
- Medications - Long-term use of certain topical medications, like those that treat glaucoma, can cause a blocked tear duct. It can possibly be a side effect of docetaxel (Taxotere), a commonly used chemotherapy drug for breast or lung cancer.(2✔ ✔Trusted Source
Eyes - Blocked Tear Duct
Go to source)
- What Is a Blocked Tear Duct? - (https://www.aao.org/eye-health/diseases/what-is-blocked-tear-duct)
- Eyes - Blocked Tear Duct - (https://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/health/conditionsandtreatments/eyes-blocked-tear-duct)
- About Blocked Tear Ducts - (https://www.uofmhealth.org/health-library/hw3084)
- Blocked Tear Duct - Overview - (https://www.nchmd.org/education/mayo-health-library/details/CON-20156926)
- Tear Duct Infection (Dacryocystitis) - (https://www.health.harvard.edu/a_to_z/tear-duct-infection-dacryocystitis-a-to-z)
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Trupti Shirole. (2020, February 07). What are the Causes of Blocked Tear Duct? . Medindia. Retrieved on Sep 24, 2023 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/what-are-the-causes-of-blocked-tear-duct.htm.
Dr. Trupti Shirole. "What are the Causes of Blocked Tear Duct? ". Medindia. Sep 24, 2023. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/what-are-the-causes-of-blocked-tear-duct.htm>.
Dr. Trupti Shirole. "What are the Causes of Blocked Tear Duct? ". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/what-are-the-causes-of-blocked-tear-duct.htm. (accessed Sep 24, 2023).
Dr. Trupti Shirole. 2020. What are the Causes of Blocked Tear Duct? . Medindia, viewed Sep 24, 2023, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/what-are-the-causes-of-blocked-tear-duct.htm.
Do you wish to consult an Ophthalmologist for your problem? Ask your question
17 years experience
Shree Ramakrishna Netralaya , Vashi, Navi Mumbai
6 years experience
Olive Christian Hospital and Research Centre, Dimapur
10 years experience
Shantived Institute of Medical Sciences, Sikandra, Agra
32 years experience