Causes of Atopic Dermatitis
The exact cause of atopic dermatitis is unknown. However, the disease seems to result from a combination of hereditary and environmental factors.
Hypersensitivity reaction in the skin causes atopic dermatitis. Atopic dermatitis patients may lack certain proteins in the skin, which leads to greater sensitivity.
Following factors worsen the symptoms of atopic dermatitis-
- Exposure to environmental irritants like pollen, mold, dust mites, or animals
- Dry skin
- Exposure to water
- Sudden temperature changes
- Cold and dry air in the winter
- Colds or flu
- Contact with chemicals
- Contact with rough materials, like wool
- Certain fragrances or dyes added to skin lotions or soaps