What are the Causes of Anemia?
Any process that disrupts the normal life span of an RBC causes anemia.
Causes of anemia include:
- Increased physiological demand for more red blood cells e.g. increased physical activity.
- In children, during spurts of growth.
- In women during menstruation, pregnancy, parturition and lactation.
- Inadequate dietary intake due to poor economic reasons or dietary foods.
- Decreased absorption due to disorders in the digestive system.
- Peptic ulcer, piles, hiatus hernia, carcinoma of stomach and carcinoma colon can cause anemia.
- Chronic ingestion of a certain type of pain relievers.
- Hookworm infestation.