What are the Causes and Risk Factors of Pre-eclampsia?
Experts believe that a problem with the placenta causes pre-eclampsia. However, the exact cause of pre-eclampsia is not known.
Possible causes of pre-eclampsia include-
- Impaired blood flow to the placenta or uterus
- Damage to the blood vessels of the placenta
- Poor nutrition
- Autoimmune diseases
- High body fat
Risk factors for pre-eclampsia include-
- First pregnancy
- If pregnant mother is younger than 18 years or older than 40 years of age.
- Prolonged spacing between two pregnancies.
- Low socioeconomic status.
- Multiple gestations such as twins or triplets.
- Molar pregnancy, an abnormal condition that mimics a normal pregnancy but is actually a tumor.
- History of chronic high blood pressure, diabetes, kidney disorder, migraine, rheumatoid arthritis, SLE.
- Family history of pre-eclampsia (i.e., a mother, sister, grandmother or aunt who had the disorder).
- Women with higher-than-average body fat.
- New paternity - Every pregnancy with a new partner increases the risk of pre-eclampsia over a second or third pregnancy with the same partner.
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Trupti Shirole. (2014, September 23). What are the Causes and Risk Factors of Pre-eclampsia?. Medindia. Retrieved on May 18, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/what-are-the-causes-and-risk-factors-of-pre-eclampsia.htm.
Dr. Trupti Shirole. "What are the Causes and Risk Factors of Pre-eclampsia?". Medindia. May 18, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/what-are-the-causes-and-risk-factors-of-pre-eclampsia.htm>.
Dr. Trupti Shirole. "What are the Causes and Risk Factors of Pre-eclampsia?". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/what-are-the-causes-and-risk-factors-of-pre-eclampsia.htm. (accessed May 18, 2022).
Dr. Trupti Shirole. 2021. What are the Causes and Risk Factors of Pre-eclampsia?. Medindia, viewed May 18, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/what-are-the-causes-and-risk-factors-of-pre-eclampsia.htm.
Do you wish to consult an Obstetricians and Gynecologists (OB/GYN) for your problem? Ask your question
10 years experience
Ram Murti Hospital, Katka padaw
3 years experience
Neo mother and child care clinic, Khurram nagar
9 years experience
DR Ankita Mandal, Near Greenwood Park