Written by Dr. Rashida Shabbir Tankiwala, Diplomate of National Board (DNB) | 
Medically Reviewed by dr. simi paknikar, MD on Sep 28, 2019


1. Which specialist doctor treats this condition?

Opthalmologist or an Eye doctor should be consulted for this condition.

2. What is dry eye syndrome?

Chronic lack of lubrication and moisture in the eye is called Dry Eye Syndrome. It is mostly due to poor constitution of the tear film. It may also be due to abnormal lid function.

3. How do I know if I have dry eye syndrome?

If you experience frequent redness, burning, gritty and scratchy feeling in your eyes, you are most probably suffering from dry eyes. You need to see your eye doctor for confirmation and treatment.

4. Who gets watery eyes?

Infants commonly suffer with watery eyes due to congenital blockage of the tear drainage tube. In adults, watery eyes occur due to acquired blockage or any condition causing excess tear secretion.

5. I have a tear duct that leaks on regular basis. My doctor recommends surgery. What should I expect?

The surgery seems to be dacryocystorhinostomy (DCR). This is usually done under local anesthesia on day-care basis through a small incision on the side of the bridge of the nose. It is a bypass surgery where the blockage inside the duct is bypassed and a direct passage of the tears is made through an opening either over the skin of the nose or internally in the nose. The procedure has 94 percent success rate.

Most Popular on Medindia