Tips for supplementation
Since, the diet itself contains adequate amounts of the vitamin, supplementation of vitamin C is usually not required.
Healthy adults will benefit with 5 servings of fresh fruits and vegetables in addition to one multivitamin supplement each day. Fresh fruits and vegetables are endowed with vitamin C antioxidants and many other anti -cancer phytochemicals.
The need for vitamin C may be high in certain groups of individuals. Therefore, these individuals (mentioned below) need to take special care to include servings of fresh fruits and vegetables in their diet.
- Old individuals with insufficient vitamin C intake.
- Women who take birth control pills (with estrogen), as this can lead to lower levels of Vitamin C in blood.
- Patients on aspirin have increased excretion of vitamin C and therefore need supplementation.
- Anemic patients who take iron tablets have to take vitamin C supplements to enhance iron absorption.
- Vitamin C supplementation is generally advised for pregnant women as well.