About Vitamin B-12
This Vitamin is also known as cobalamine or cyanocobalamine, owing to the presence of the metal, cobalt.
Cyanocobalamine is used in most supplements because it is readily converted to active forms of vitamin B-12 in the body.
The central structure of the vitamin consists of a single cobalt atom surrounded by four pyrrole rings. This set up is called 'Corrin Ring' system. This cobalt atom is in turn covalently bounded to a cyanide group. It is hence called cyanocobalamine.
Vitamin B-12 is required for the conversion of homocysteine to methionine which is processed by enzymes. Vitamin B12 deficiency, like folic acid deficiency, can cause increased homocysteine in the blood.
Vitamin B-12 and folate are both necessary for the synthesis of raw materials that make up the
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Reeja Tharu. (2016, February 04). Vitamin B-12. Medindia. Retrieved on Dec 01, 2023 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/vitaminb12.htm.
Dr. Reeja Tharu. " Vitamin B-12". Medindia. Dec 01, 2023. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/vitaminb12.htm>.
Dr. Reeja Tharu. " Vitamin B-12". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/vitaminb12.htm. (accessed Dec 01, 2023).
Dr. Reeja Tharu. 2016. Vitamin B-12. Medindia, viewed Dec 01, 2023, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/vitaminb12.htm.
Latest Publications and Research on Vitamin B-12
- In-vivo Intradermal Delivery of Co-57 labeled Vitamin B-12, and Subsequent Comparison with Standard Subcutaneous Administration. - Published by PubMed
- Influence of non-dechlorinating microbes on trichloroethene reduction based on vitamin B12 synthesis in anaerobic cultures. - Published by PubMed
- Vitamin B-6 Intake Is Modestly Associated with Arsenic Methylation in Uruguayan Children with Low-Level Arsenic Exposure. - Published by PubMed
- Overall lack of replication of associations between dietary intake of folate and vitamin B-12 and DNA methylation in peripheral blood. - Published by PubMed
- Tumor targeting vitamin B12 derivatives for X-ray induced treatment of pancreatic adenocarcinoma. - Published by PubMed
Request an Appointment with a Doctor (Nutrition Expert)
10 years experience
3 years experience
10 years experience
1 year experience
Vecura Wellness Clinic, Pn podur , pudukinar street , Tamil nadu 641014, Coimbatore