Last Updated on Mar 23, 2020

Frequently Asked Questions

1. Which specialist should I see if I have urinary tract infection?

You should see an urologist. A diagnosis of UTI is often made during a routine urine examination ordered by a physician. Fortunately most of the UTIs respond to antibiotics prescribed at a level of primary care. However recurrent UTIs warrant specialist care;your physician or gynecologist or your child’s paediatrician may refer you to a urologist if indicated.

2. Why is UTI more common in women than men?

Transfer of infection along the shorter female urethra is easier, while the longer male urethra protects against the transfer of bacteria to the bladder. Also, the prostatic fluid has antibacterial action.

3. Does urine contain infectious organisms?

Urine is normally sterile.

4. Is UTI dangerous?

Repeated UTI can damage the kidney and may lead to kidney failure.

5. What are the risk factors for UTI?
  • Some people are more prone to getting a UTI than others.
  • Women who use diaphragms for birth control may be at higher risk.
  • People with diabetes have a higher risk of infection because of changes in the immune system secondary to the high sugar concentrations.
  • Any abnormality of the urinary tract that obstructs the flow of urine (a kidney stone) increases the risk for an infection.
  • UTIs may occur in infants who are born with abnormalities of the urinary tract, which sometimes need to be corrected with surgery.

6. How to prevent UTI?
  • Drink at least two to three liters of fluid depending on whether you live in cold or warm area.
  • Make sure you get enough vitamin C in your diet. It makes the urine acidic, which in turn decreases the number of bacteria.
  • Void urine at 2-3 hour intervals.
  • Void urine before bedtime and after intercourse.
  • Cleanse the genital area with water before sexual intercourse.
  • Avoid using feminine hygiene sprays and scented douches, which may irritate the urethra.
  • Wipe from front to back to prevent bacteria around the anus from entering the vagina or urethra.
  • Avoid bubble baths and other chemicals in bath water.
  • Having good vaginal muscle tone is beneficial and may be achieved by doing Kegel exercises.


scpathy Thursday, April 4, 2013

I am 79plus of age and I am a male.We went on ilgrimage to Shirdhi a month and half ago.On our return after a few days there was inconvenience in passing urine andlater blood was seen in the urine. I took urine culture report to a doctor who prescribed antibiotics for five days.There was relief. I took lot of water also.After a month again there was pus and the urine is little reddish but no foul smell.There is no appitite an I do not feel eating anything now.Please adivise me as to I shoul do? withregards

ADULT_DIAPERS Monday, March 5, 2012

I am 31 and have had 5-6 UTI's in the past 6 months. The first, second and third times they did a urine test and it showed UTI. Never had one before, am very clean and am not sexually active. Now I have seen a urologist and am waiting 3-4 weeks to get tests done. I have abdominal pain especially in lower left side, back pain, discomfort when peeing but not burning, and blood in urine. Can you tell me what it may be. I think I may have ovarian cysts or something. Any help would be appreciated.

@Guest Saturday, March 8, 2014

it is UTI and what you can do is to take in adequate diet with a lot of fluids and vitamin C. do not keep urine, void when needed.

ramesh4 Tuesday, September 20, 2011

does allergy will cause urinary infection

litermonica Monday, December 28, 2009

If you are experiencing any of the symptoms associated with Urinary Tract Infection, it is highly advised that you contact your specialized health care professional, as this condition needs to be treated immediately, before the infection can spread to other parts of the urinary tract.
See more on

In the case of Urinary Tract Infection, the treatment of choice is antibiotics.

vidya Friday, November 7, 2008

We should not ignore Urinary Tractinfection if it increases if affects kidney. we should drink lot of water during the day and should have check on our urinary pattern everyday. few years back when I got minor infection I consulted Dr. Manu Sobti in Hindusabha hospital Ghatkopar. He is realy fantastic doctor he thoroughly checked me even it was minor infection and I got relief permanently since then I advise all my friends to take care of urine infection I advise them to take treatment from Dr. sobti.

Most Popular on Medindia