Frequently Asked Questions1. Which specialist should I see if I have urinary tract infection?
You should see an urologist. A diagnosis of UTI is often made during a routine urine examination ordered by a physician. Fortunately most of the UTIs respond to antibiotics prescribed at a level of primary care. However recurrent UTIs warrant specialist care;your physician or gynecologist or your child’s paediatrician can refer you to a urologist for further care.
2. Why is UTI more common in women than men?
Transfer of infection along the shorter female urethra is easier, while the longer male urethra protects against the transfer of bacteria to the bladder. Also, the prostatic fluid has antibacterial action.
3. Does urine contain infectious organisms?
Urine is normally sterile.
4. Is UTI dangerous?
Repeated UTI can damage the kidney and may lead to kidney failure.
5. What are the risk factors for UTI?
- Some people are more prone to getting a UTI than others.
- Women who use diaphragms for birth control may be at higher risk.
- People with diabetes have a higher risk of infection because of changes in the immune system secondary to the high sugar concentrations.
- Any abnormality of the urinary tract that obstructs the flow of urine (a kidney stone) increases the risk for an infection.
- UTIs may occur in infants who are born with abnormalities of the urinary tract, which sometimes need to be corrected with surgery.
6. How to prevent UTI?
- Drink at least two to three liters of fluid depending on whether you live in cold or warm area.
- Make sure you get enough vitamin C in your diet. It makes the urine acidic, which in turn decreases the number of bacteria.
- Void urine at 2-3 hour intervals.
- Void urine before bedtime and after intercourse.
- Cleanse the genital area with water before sexual intercourse.
- Avoid using feminine hygiene sprays and scented douches, which may irritate the urethra.
- Wipe from front to back to prevent bacteria around the anus from entering the vagina or urethra.
- Avoid bubble baths and other chemicals in bath water.
- Having good vaginal muscle tone is beneficial and may be achieved by doing Kegel exercises.
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Trupti Shirole. (2021, July 28). Urinary Tract Infection - Frequently Asked Questions / FAQ's . Medindia. Retrieved on May 28, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/urinary-tract-infection-faqs.htm.
Dr. Trupti Shirole. "Urinary Tract Infection - Frequently Asked Questions / FAQ's ". Medindia. May 28, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/urinary-tract-infection-faqs.htm>.
Dr. Trupti Shirole. "Urinary Tract Infection - Frequently Asked Questions / FAQ's ". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/urinary-tract-infection-faqs.htm. (accessed May 28, 2022).
Dr. Trupti Shirole. 2021. Urinary Tract Infection - Frequently Asked Questions / FAQ's . Medindia, viewed May 28, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/urinary-tract-infection-faqs.htm.
Do you wish to consult an Urologist for your problem? Ask your question
12 years experience
The Mission city center clinic, City Centre
+ 1 more
34 years experience
Madras Medical Mission Hospital, Mogappair
+ 1 more