Preparation before ultrasound examination
- Wear comfortable, loose-fitting clothes for the ultrasound examination.
- Other preparation depends on the type of examination you will have.
- For some type of scans, you have to be on an empty stomach and may be instructed not to eat or drink for 12 hours prior to appointment.
- Generally, a full urinary bladder is necessary for a proper ultrasound examination.
- It is advisable to drink up to six glasses of water, two hours prior to your exam.
- Avoid urinating so that your bladder is full when the scan begins.