Preparation before ultrasound examination
- Wear comfortable, loose-fitting clothes for the ultrasound examination.
- Other preparation depends on the type of examination you will have.
- For some type of scans, you have to be on an empty stomach and may be instructed not to eat or drink for 12 hours prior to appointment.
- Generally, a full urinary bladder is necessary for a proper ultrasound examination.
- It is advisable to drink up to six glasses of water, two hours prior to your exam.
- Avoid urinating so that your bladder is full when the scan begins.
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Reeja Tharu. (2013, October 05). Preparation Before Ultrasound Examination. Medindia. Retrieved on May 18, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/ultrasound_preparation.htm.
Dr. Reeja Tharu. "Preparation Before Ultrasound Examination". Medindia. May 18, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/ultrasound_preparation.htm>.
Dr. Reeja Tharu. "Preparation Before Ultrasound Examination". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/ultrasound_preparation.htm. (accessed May 18, 2022).
Dr. Reeja Tharu. 2021. Preparation Before Ultrasound Examination. Medindia, viewed May 18, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/ultrasound_preparation.htm.
Do you wish to consult a Radiologist for your problem? Ask your question
11 years experience
Shukla hospital - Ultrasound and Diagnostic Centre, Dharamshala