What happens during an ultrasound examination?
- You will be made to lie on an examination table and will be asked to loosen your garments depending on the area imaged.
- The doctor will ask you some basic questions about your general health.
- Will the ultrasound examination be painful?
The ultrasound examination is typically painless. You may experience some discomfort if the transducer is pressed too hard against the pelvic region especially if the bladder is full.
- How long will the procedure last?
A typical ultrasound exam takes about 30 minutes to one hour.
A small amount of a gel is applied over your skin. This would help in obtaining a clear image without any interference by air getting trapped between your skin and the ultrasound probe.
- The transducer is pressed firmly against your skin and swept back