Treatment of Cluster Headache
Cluster headache treatment involves the following two types-
- Abortive Medications or Therapy to relieve the pain when it happens
- Preventive Medications or Therapy to prevent the cluster headaches
Abortive Medication regime usually involves treating with Triptans, mainly sumatriptan (Imigran / Imitrex) or Injections of dihydroergotamine (DHE), or oxygen breathing therapy with 100% pure oxygen.
Sumatriptan is an injection that is given within 10 minutes of the onset of the cluster episode. Sumatriptan works in a similar way as that of the brain chemical 5HT. It causes the blood vessels to narrow and thus reducing blood-flow to the brain.
Injections of dihydroergotamine (DHE), when administered, can stop the cluster attack within 5 minutes. However, DHE must not be administered with Sumatriptan or other triptans, as it is dangerous.
The oxygen therapy involves breathing of a high flow of pure oxygen through a mask for about 15 minutes – 20 minutes, up to five times a day. It is a safe treatment and has proven to be effective in relieving cluster headaches.
Most of the cluster headaches might go away on their own. However, preventive medications are recommended in recurrent or chronic cases of Cluster Headaches.
- Calcium channel blocker Verapamil tablets, usually used in cardiac diseases are helpful in treating cluster headaches. However, frequent ECG monitoring is essential whilst adjusting or increasing the dose of Verapamil.
- Blood pressure medicines, mainly beta-blockers like propanolol or atenolol.
- Drugs used to treat mood disorders like Lithium carbonates.
- Drugs used to treat seizures, such as topiramate and valproic acid
- Medicines used to treat depression and anxiety such as amitriptyline.
- Cluster headache - (http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000786.htm)
- Cluster Headache FAQs - (http://www.emedicinehealth.com/cluster_headache_faqs/article_em.htm)
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Avinash Ramani. (2014, February 24). Treatment of Cluster Headache. Medindia. Retrieved on Dec 01, 2023 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/treatment-of-cluster-headache.htm.
Avinash Ramani. "Treatment of Cluster Headache". Medindia. Dec 01, 2023. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/treatment-of-cluster-headache.htm>.
Avinash Ramani. "Treatment of Cluster Headache". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/treatment-of-cluster-headache.htm. (accessed Dec 01, 2023).
Avinash Ramani. 2014. Treatment of Cluster Headache. Medindia, viewed Dec 01, 2023, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/treatment-of-cluster-headache.htm.
Do you wish to consult a Neurologist for your problem? Ask your question
15 years experience
22 years experience