Treatment and Complications of Bigorexia / Muscle Dysmorphia
Treatment of bigorexia includes cognitive behavioral therapy, antidepressant medications or a combination of both. Bigorexic individuals tend to be at a higher risk for complications due to excessive workouts and extreme dietary regimens.
Treatment of Bigorexia / Muscle Dysmorphia
Treatment of bigorexia includes-
- Antidepressants: Antidepressant medications called selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) are most commonly recommended
- Combination of both
Most of the bigorexia cases require long term psychological care and most importantly, support from family and friends.
Complications of Bigorexia / Muscle Dysmorphia
The most commonly observed health complications in individuals suffering from bigorexia include:
- Frequent injury and damage to muscles, joints and tendons due to over exercising
- Health complications due to abuse of anabolic steroids and other supplements used to build body mass
- Anxiety, self-hatred and depression
- Suicidal tendency
- Interference with relationships, social and professional life
- James L, Edward S, Kimberly G. Recognition and Treatment of Muscle Dysmorphia and Related Body Image Disorders. J AthlTrain 2005; 40(4):352-359.
- Courtney P, Harrison P, William M, Christina F, Roberto O, Katharine P. Clinical features of muscle dysmorphia among males with body dysmorphic disorder. Body Image 2005; 2(4):395-400.
- What is Muscle Dysmorphia, Bigorexia, Reverse Anorexia? - (http://www.healthyplace.com/ocd-related-disorders/body -dysmorphic-disorder/what-is-muscle-dysmorphia-bigorexia -reverse-anorexia/)
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Simi Paknikar. (2014, January 10). Treatment and Complications of Bigorexia / Muscle Dysmorphia. Medindia. Retrieved on May 28, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/treatment-and-complications-of-bigorexia.htm.
Dr. Simi Paknikar. "Treatment and Complications of Bigorexia / Muscle Dysmorphia". Medindia. May 28, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/treatment-and-complications-of-bigorexia.htm>.
Dr. Simi Paknikar. "Treatment and Complications of Bigorexia / Muscle Dysmorphia". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/treatment-and-complications-of-bigorexia.htm. (accessed May 28, 2022).
Dr. Simi Paknikar. 2021. Treatment and Complications of Bigorexia / Muscle Dysmorphia. Medindia, viewed May 28, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/treatment-and-complications-of-bigorexia.htm.
Do you wish to consult a Psychiatrist for your problem? Ask your question
6 years experience
Psychiatrist Dr.Vishnupriya, Christian Basti