- Treatment is not necessary in case of toxoplasmosis infection in a health person. Symptoms usually disappear within a period of few weeks.
- For pregnant women or persons who have weakened immune systems, medications are available to treat toxoplasmosis.
- In case of an infected pregnant woman the disease has to be treated with utmost care. Research has shown that treating the mother can help decrease the severity of the disease in the infant but does not necessarily decrease the transmission of the infection from mother to child. Infection in the pregnant mother can be treated with an antibiotic called spiramycin
- Kids with weakened immune systems often need to be hospitalized when they develop toxoplasmosis, and those with AIDS may need to take anti-toxoplasmosis medication for life.
- Children born with congenital toxoplasmosis are treated with different combinations of anti-toxoplasmosis medications, usually for 1 year after birth. Treatment of congenital toxoplasmosis typically includes pyrimethamine, sulfadiazine, and leucovorin for one year. Infants are also sometimes given steroids if their vision is threatened or if the protein level in the spinal fluid is high.
- Medications to treat the infection in general are pyrimethamine, sulfonamide drugs, folinic acid, clindamycin, and trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole.
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Sangamithra. (2016, December 08). Toxoplasmosis - Treatment. Medindia. Retrieved on May 17, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/toxoplasmosis_treatment.htm.
Dr. Sangamithra. "Toxoplasmosis - Treatment". Medindia. May 17, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/toxoplasmosis_treatment.htm>.
Dr. Sangamithra. "Toxoplasmosis - Treatment". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/toxoplasmosis_treatment.htm. (accessed May 17, 2022).
Dr. Sangamithra. 2021. Toxoplasmosis - Treatment. Medindia, viewed May 17, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/toxoplasmosis_treatment.htm.
Do you wish to consult a General Medicine Doctor / Internal Medicine Doctor for your problem? Ask your question
5 years experience
G K Multispecality Clinic , George Town
49 years experience
Gayarani Sevasadan telemedicine and research centre, Near Bhaijee restaurant
3 years experience
arogya clinic, mithilurapuri colony madhurawada near heritage super market