There are several general sanitation and food safety steps one has to take to reduce the chances of becoming infected with Toxoplasma.
- Wash hands well with soap and water after handling raw meat.
- Meat should be cooked thoroughly.
- Fruits and vegetables should be washed before serving.
- Keep pets like cat inside at all times to protect it from getting toxoplasmosis infection from the soil or other small-infected animals it tries to catch and eat.
- Avoid feeding the cat raw meat.
- Wear gloves when gardening and wash hands afterward.
- Avoid drinking untreated water, especially if traveling.
- Pregnant women should take measures to prevent infection by avoiding exposure to cat feces.
- Patients with HIV disease should have toxoplasma antibody titers checked regularly.
- Do not drink unpasteurized milk.
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Sangamithra. (2016, December 08). Toxoplasmosis - Prevention. Medindia. Retrieved on May 23, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/toxoplasmosis_prevention.htm.
Dr. Sangamithra. "Toxoplasmosis - Prevention". Medindia. May 23, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/toxoplasmosis_prevention.htm>.
Dr. Sangamithra. "Toxoplasmosis - Prevention". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/toxoplasmosis_prevention.htm. (accessed May 23, 2022).
Dr. Sangamithra. 2021. Toxoplasmosis - Prevention. Medindia, viewed May 23, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/toxoplasmosis_prevention.htm.
Do you wish to consult a General Medicine Doctor / Internal Medicine Doctor for your problem? Ask your question
40 years experience
Dr.Jagdish Rajaram clinic, Viman Nagar