There are several general sanitation and food safety steps one has to take to reduce the chances of becoming infected with Toxoplasma.
- Wash hands well with soap and water after handling raw meat.
- Meat should be cooked thoroughly.
- Fruits and vegetables should be washed before serving.
- Keep pets like cat inside at all times to protect it from getting toxoplasmosis infection from the soil or other small-infected animals it tries to catch and eat.
- Avoid feeding the cat raw meat.
- Wear gloves when gardening and wash hands afterward.
- Avoid drinking untreated water, especially if traveling.
- Pregnant women should take measures to prevent infection by avoiding exposure to cat feces.
- Patients with HIV disease should have toxoplasma antibody titers checked regularly.
- Do not drink unpasteurized milk.