- Various tests can be done to detect the presence of the parasite or the cyst in the body. These include laboratory tests that check for microscopic parasites in the blood, spinal fluid, amniotic fluid, placenta, lymph nodes, bone marrow, or other body tissues.
- Most often a blood test is done to measure the level of antibodies against the parasites.
- Sophisticated new genetic tests also can be used to identify the DNA-containing genes of toxoplasmosis parasites once they've invaded the body.
- Obstetricians may use ultrasound examination to help diagnose congenital toxoplasmosis.
- If cysts are lodged in the brain then a Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) of the head or a brain biopsy or a skull CT scan is done to know the exact place of the lodgment of the cyst.
- Serologic titer for toxoplasmosis is done to detect the parasite load in the blood of the patient.
- Slit lamp examination of the eye can reveal characteristic lesions on the retina. (Ocular Toxoplasmosis)
- Detection of the parasite in the amniotic fluid and fetal blood testing can help in the diagnosis of congenital toxoplasmosis. Austria has a long tradition in serological screening programs during pregnancy. It was the first country to establish a nation-wide screening-program in the year 1975.
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Sangamithra. (2016, December 08). Toxoplasmosis - Diagnosis. Medindia. Retrieved on Jul 01, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/toxoplasmosis_diagnosis.htm.
Dr. Sangamithra. "Toxoplasmosis - Diagnosis". Medindia. Jul 01, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/toxoplasmosis_diagnosis.htm>.
Dr. Sangamithra. "Toxoplasmosis - Diagnosis". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/toxoplasmosis_diagnosis.htm. (accessed Jul 01, 2022).
Dr. Sangamithra. 2021. Toxoplasmosis - Diagnosis. Medindia, viewed Jul 01, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/toxoplasmosis_diagnosis.htm.
Do you wish to consult a General Medicine Doctor / Internal Medicine Doctor for your problem? Ask your question
1 year experience
5 years experience
2 years experience
8 years experience