Oral Hygiene and Prevention
Prevention of any problem in the mouth can be done by certain basic measures taken towards maintenance of oral hygiene.
- A regular twice-daily brushing and flossing regime,
- balanced diet rich in fibre helps in preventing all kinds of oral health problems.
- Control of blood sugar levels amongst diabetics
- and blood pressure amongst hypertensive individuals helps maintain a healthy oral environment and diminishes infections.
- A regular dental check-up every six months will help in identifying the presence of any problem in the oral health structures and treating them on time.
- Rinsing their mouth with clean water after meals will help diminish the accumulation of decay causing bacteria. This can be started as early as six to 12 months of age.
- Use of mouthguards during outdoor sports such as foot ball and others can significantly diminish trauma to the oral structures.
Self-medication for treating tooth ache is usually not recommended, but an oral NSAID or few proven home remedies might be used for temporary pain relief.
Home Remedies for Tooth Ache:
Few home remedies have been proven to provide effective pain relief in case of any kind of toothache.
- Clove oil application at the site of pain on the tooth or gums has helped reduce the toothache caused by decayed teeth.
- Crushed garlic has scientifically proven bactericidal properties which relieves pain and infection at the site for sometime. The crushed garlic can also be mixed with rock salt for better effect.
- A salt water rinse helps prevent gum infections and is used particularly by pregnant women.
- Consumption of raw onions and lime has also been found to reduce tooth and gum problems.