Tapeworm Infections - FAQs
1. Can tapeworm infection be cured?
Yes they can be cured completely if proper treatment is taken by the patient.
2. How would you know if you have a tapeworm inside your body?
Cysts/ larvae/proglottids containing eggs are passed along with the feces of the patient. This is the first and the foremost diagnosis that can tell a patient that he is suffering from tapeworm infection.
3. Can you pass tapeworms to others?
Yes. when there is poor sanitation and if the human waste is not properly disposed it results in the spread of tapeworm infection from one person to another.
4. Are tapeworm infections fatal?
No. They are not fatal but in case of Cysticercosis, when the cysticerci are lodged in the brain and diagnosis has not been made for a long time, then it can result in death if untreated.
5. Whom do I consult in case of suspected tapeworm infection?
You can approach your family doctor or a general physician who will give you the necessary medications.