Depending on the primary route of transmission, syphilis is classified as -
- Venereal syphilis - Transmitted due to sexual contact
- Congenital syphilis- Transmitted from an infected mother to the unborn child
Usually an infected person develops the first symptom after 21 days of exposure to syphilis, but this duration can range from 10 to 90 days. Syphilis is marked by the appearance of skin rashes and/or sores (mucous membrane lesions) in the mouth, vagina, or anus. Without appropriate treatment, the infection progresses to the next stage of the disease, thus complicating the condition further.
Syphilis can be diagnosed with a VDRL test or dark ground microscopy test.
Early syphilis responds favorably to antibiotic treatment. But once tissue damage starts, the process may be halted but cannot be reverted.
Being in a long-term mutually monogamous relationship with an uninfected partner and using condoms can prevent the transmission of sexually transmitted diseases, including syphilis.
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Trupti Shirole. (2021, July 28). Syphilis - Causes - Symptoms - Diagnosis - Treatment - FAQs. Medindia. Retrieved on May 31, 2023 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/syphilis.htm.
Dr. Trupti Shirole. "Syphilis - Causes - Symptoms - Diagnosis - Treatment - FAQs". Medindia. May 31, 2023. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/syphilis.htm>.
Dr. Trupti Shirole. "Syphilis - Causes - Symptoms - Diagnosis - Treatment - FAQs". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/syphilis.htm. (accessed May 31, 2023).
Dr. Trupti Shirole. 2021. Syphilis - Causes - Symptoms - Diagnosis - Treatment - FAQs. Medindia, viewed May 31, 2023, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/syphilis.htm.
Latest Publications and Research on Syphilis
- Proctitis in gay and bisexual men. Are microscopy and proctoscopy worthwhile? - Published by PubMed
- Syphilis testing performance in Aboriginal primary health care: exploring impact of continuous quality improvement over time. - Published by PubMed
- Penicillin Skin Testing, Challenge, and Desensitization in Pregnancy: A Systematic Review. - Published by PubMed
- Enhancing the Routine Screening Infrastructure to Address a Syphilis Epidemic in Miami-Dade County. - Published by PubMed
- Availability of Safety-net Sexually Transmitted Disease Clinical Services in the U.S., 2018. - Published by PubMed