Symptoms and Diagnosis of Myopia
Blurry distant vision is the hallmark feature of myopia
Symptoms of myopia include -
- Blurry distant vision that tends to get better with squinting.
- Children often complain of their inability to see the blackboard but are able to read books clearly.
- Shortsighted people often suffer from eyestrain or headache.
Diagnosis of Myopia
Myopia is diagnosed through:
- Visual acuity test- A myopic can easily read the Jaeger eye chart i.e. the chart for near reading, but has trouble reading the Snellen eye chart i.e. the chart for testing distance vision. Eye drops are administered especially in children to relax the eye muscles and obtain the correct number during eye testing.
- A phoropter or retinoscope is used to determine the power of the lenses that allow the clearest vision during a comprehensive eye examination.