Youth and Suicides
Here are some facts about suicides and youths:
- Suicide is the sixth leading cause of
death in the age group of 5 to 14 years.
- This is the third leading cause of death in the age group of 15 to 24 years of age.
- Suicide rates are higher in males than in females, although the margin is not much.
Some risk factors for youths who commit suicide are the following:
- Suicidal thoughts
- Psychiatric illness like depression, bipolar disorder, some forms of anxiety disorders, impulsive aggressive behavior, etc.
- Drug or alcohol addiction
- Previous suicide attempts
- Easy access to firearms
- Inability to cope with situational stress