Soy or Soya – A Holy Food
Soya beans are a very pale yellow in colour. Some rare varieties are black, brown or even green in colour. Fresh soya beans have a shelf life of up to two days. The dried soya beans can be stored in airtight containers for very long periods of time. When properly stored they can maintain their original state for over a period of one year.
Soy has been in the news as it is cheap source of high quality protein, other nutritional benefits. It has many benefits and can be the ideal food for diabetics.
Soya has a lot to offer to the consumer in terms of nutrition. But claims of it being considered as a wonder food are better taken with a pinch of salt as although it has a lot of health benefits there are also some potentially limiting factors in soy.
It is best to treat it as a high protein food which is a boon for vegetarians. It should form part of a balanced diet together with other basic foods.
Soybeans, mature cooked, boiled, without salt
|Calcium, Ca||102 mg||10.2 %|
|Copper, Cu||0.41 mg||20.35 %|
|Iron, Fe||5.14 mg||28.56 %|
|Magnesium, Mg||86 mg||21.5 %|
|Manganese, Mn||0.82 mg||41.2 %|
|Phosphorus, P||245 mg||24.5 %|
|Potassium, K||515 mg||14.71 %|
|Selenium, Se||7.3 mcg||10.43 %|
|Sodium, Na||1 mg||0.04 %|
|Zinc, Zn||1.15 mg||7.67 %|
|Vitamin A||9 IU||0.18 %|
|Vitamin C||1.7 mg||2.83 %|
|Vitamin B6||0.23 mg||11.7 %|
|Vitamin E||0.35 mg||1.17 %|
|Vitamin K||19.2 mcg||24 %|
|Riboflavin||0.29 mg||16.76 %|
|Thiamin||0.16 mg||10.33 %|
|Folate, DFE||54 mcg||13.5 %|
|Niacin||0.4 mg||2 %|
|Fiber||6 g||24 %|
|Cholesterol||0 mg||0 %|
|Carotene, alpha||0 mcg|
|Carotene, beta||5 mcg|
|View all +|
Soy or Soya – A Holy Food -References
- Eisenstein J, Roberts SB, Dallal G, Saltzman E. High-protein weight-loss diets: are they safe and do they work? A review of the experimental and epidemiologic data. Nutr Rev 2002, 60:189-200.
- Sydney University's Glycaemic Index Research Service. The glycaemic and insulin index values of six soy-based foods. The Glycaemic Index Report, July 2004.
- What is soy protein? - (http://www.soya.be/soy-protein.php)
Latest Publications and Research on Soy / Soya - A Holy Food
- Intravenous Lipid Emulsions in the NICU. - Published by PubMed
- Genome-wide association study of soybean seed germination under drought stress. - Published by PubMed
- Integrating pyrolysis and ex-situ catalytic reforming by microwave heating to produce hydrocarbon-rich bio-oil from soybean soapstock. - Published by PubMed
- Preparation and Irreversible Inhibition Mechanism Insight into a Recombinant Kunitz Trypsin Inhibitor from Glycine max L. Seeds. - Published by PubMed
- Symbiosis of soybean with nitrogen fixing bacteria affected by root lesion nematodes in a density-dependent manner. - Published by PubMed