Sleep Disorders - Prognosis
Prognosis for various
The prognosis for various sleep disorders depends on when therapy has been initiated. It also depends on the type of the disorder:
- In short term insomnia the prognosis is very good. But chronic insomnia can sometimes be difficult to tackle.
- The symptoms of obstructive sleep apnea disappear with CPAP therapy and weight loss further reduces the severity of the symptoms.
- Narcolepsy in spite of adequate therapy can sometimes be difficult to eliminate.
- The symptoms of movement disorders like RLS and PLMD are adequately controlled with dopamine.
- Childhood disorders like sleep walking or sleep terrors disappear with the onset of adolescence.
The prognosis for sleep disorders depends on the therapy available, the time at which the therapy has been initiated and on how receptive the patient is to the therapy.
- Coren, Stanley. Sleep Thieves: An Eye-Opening Exploration into the Science and Mysteries of Sleep. New York: The Free Press; 1996, p. 287.
- Sleep Disorders - (http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/sleepdisorders.html)
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Trupti Shirole. (2020, March 11). Sleep Disorders - Prognosis. Medindia. Retrieved on May 26, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/sleep/sleepdisorders-prognosis.htm.
Dr. Trupti Shirole. "Sleep Disorders - Prognosis". Medindia. May 26, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/sleep/sleepdisorders-prognosis.htm>.
Dr. Trupti Shirole. "Sleep Disorders - Prognosis". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/sleep/sleepdisorders-prognosis.htm. (accessed May 26, 2022).
Dr. Trupti Shirole. 2021. Sleep Disorders - Prognosis. Medindia, viewed May 26, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/sleep/sleepdisorders-prognosis.htm.
Do you wish to consult a General Medicine Doctor / Internal Medicine Doctor for your problem? Ask your question
5 years experience
G K Multispecality Clinic , George Town