Sleep-associated eating disorders are, typically, abnormal eating behaviors that occur during the night.
Sleep- related eating disorder is part of the 'Parasomnias' a term given to undesired events occurring during sleep.
People with Nocturnal Sleep-Related Eating Disorder (NS-RED) often walk into the kitchen and prepare food without a recollection of having done so. Nocturnal Sleep-Related Eating Disorder (NS-RED) is a fairly new term that is still being investigated.
If this kind of eating binge occurs often enough, a person can experience weight gain, increasing their risk of developing type 2 diabetes.
Sleepwalking and excessive nocturnal overeating characterize Nocturnal Sleep-Related Eating Disorder (NS-RED). NSRED may develop slowly, with time or it may begin quickly with nightly episodes of eating from the start. This disorder does not become better with time and may even be a cause for depression.
A closely related disorder, known as Night Eating Syndrome (NES), is diagnosed when a person eats during sleep time with full awareness and is unable to fall asleep unless they have a snack.
NS-RED and NES are variants of the same disorder in that, people with NS-RED eat while they are still sleeping while those with NES eat when they are conscious. However, they are similar in that both are offshoots of sleep and eating disorders. Both of these conditions can interfere with an individual's nutritional status, cause shame, may bring about illnesses, result in depression and weight gain.
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Anitha Paderla. (2020, September 15). Sleep Eating Disorders Causes Symptoms Diagnosis Treatment. Medindia. Retrieved on Nov 30, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/sleep/sleep_eating_disorders.htm.
Dr. Anitha Paderla. "Sleep Eating Disorders Causes Symptoms Diagnosis Treatment". Medindia. Nov 30, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/sleep/sleep_eating_disorders.htm>.
Dr. Anitha Paderla. "Sleep Eating Disorders Causes Symptoms Diagnosis Treatment". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/sleep/sleep_eating_disorders.htm. (accessed Nov 30, 2022).
Dr. Anitha Paderla. 2021. Sleep Eating Disorders Causes Symptoms Diagnosis Treatment. Medindia, viewed Nov 30, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/sleep/sleep_eating_disorders.htm.
Latest Publications and Research on Sleep Eating Disorders
- Gender differences in the impact of sleep duration on common mental disorders in school students. - Published by PubMed
- Mental Health Issues and Psychological Factors in Athletes: Detection, Management, Effect on Performance, and Prevention: American Medical Society for Sports Medicine Position Statement. - Published by PubMed
- American Medical Society for Sports Medicine Position Statement: Mental Health Issues and Psychological Factors in Athletes: Detection, Management, Effect on Performance, and Prevention-Executive Summary. - Published by PubMed
- Depression and anxiety mediate the relationship between insomnia and eating disorders in college women. - Published by PubMed
- Epigenetic aging in newborns: role of maternal diet. - Published by PubMed
Do you wish to consult a General Medicine Doctor / Internal Medicine Doctor for your problem? Ask your question
3 years experience
10 years experience
2 years experience
HCG hospitals [oncology], sampangiRama nagar, Bengaluru
7 years experience
Medcare Clinic , Nolambur, Chennai