"Sleep is the golden chain that ties health and our bodies together" - Thomas Decker, English dramatist (1572-1632)
As we grow old a number of physiological changes takes place that alters both our looks and the body functions. Generally these changes slow down all the organ systems, due to a gradual decline in cellular activity. In some individuals, the level of decline may be rapid and dramatic; in others, the changes are much less significant.
The effects of these changes also differ widely among individuals. While approximately 85% of the aging population experience chronic conditions, only about 20% experience significant impairment in their ability to function.
Sleep disturbances in the elderly can lead to changes in the physiological systems, such as a reduction in the production of appropriate hormones, like the growth hormones, and also a decline in the metabolic functioning.
Most people accept sleep difficulties as a fact of the ageing process. Most often sleep problems in the elderly are due to disease, environment, or lifestyle and not due to the "the normal ageing" process.
Irrespective of age, it remains essential to get the proper amount of restorative sleep for a person's physical health and emotional well-being.
- General Advocacy Tips for Changing School Start Times - (http://www.sleepfoundation.org/hottopics/index.php?secid=12&id=225)
Latest Publications and Research on Ageing and Sleep
- Inhibition of miR-193a-3p protects human umbilical vein endothelial cells against intermittent hypoxia-induced endothelial injury by targeting FAIM2. - Published by PubMed
- Association of Sleep Trajectory in Adulthood With Risk of Hypertension and its Related Risk Factors: The China Health and Nutrition Survey. - Published by PubMed
- Performance of Facial Expression Classification Tasks in Patients With Obstructive Sleep Apnea-Hypopnea Syndrome (OSAS). - Published by PubMed
- Association of Dietary Variety and Appetite with Sleep Quality in Urban-Dwelling Older Japanese Adults. - Published by PubMed
- Sleep Apnea Syndrome in an Elderly Population Admitted to a Geriatric Unit: Prevalence and Effect on Cognitive Function. - Published by PubMed
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Anitha Paderla. (2016, February 07). Sleep Disorders in Elderly-Causes-Symptoms-Diagnosis-Treatment-Conclusion. Medindia. Retrieved on Jun 28, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/sleep/sleep_disorders_elderly.htm.
Dr. Anitha Paderla. "Sleep Disorders in Elderly-Causes-Symptoms-Diagnosis-Treatment-Conclusion". Medindia. Jun 28, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/sleep/sleep_disorders_elderly.htm>.
Dr. Anitha Paderla. "Sleep Disorders in Elderly-Causes-Symptoms-Diagnosis-Treatment-Conclusion". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/sleep/sleep_disorders_elderly.htm. (accessed Jun 28, 2022).
Dr. Anitha Paderla. 2021. Sleep Disorders in Elderly-Causes-Symptoms-Diagnosis-Treatment-Conclusion. Medindia, viewed Jun 28, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/sleep/sleep_disorders_elderly.htm.