Overview and Definition
Sleep is the golden chain that ties health and our bodies together. - Thomas Dekker -1572 - 1632
Sleep is natural to all living beings. It signals the cessation of
Every living creature goes through phases of sleep and wakefulness. The simplest answer to why we sleep is because we get tired and we cannot function if we get too sleepy.
When man was created, he came with an internal or biological clock, which controls the timings of the wakefulness-sleep cycle. This clock, which is sensitive to light, had evolved over the ages in close approximation to the 24hr light-dark cycle (
Make sure that you get enough sleep every day because lack of sleep can increase appetite, contributing to overeating and weight gain. Hormones that regulate appetite are influenced by sleep duration.
- Huxley, Aldous. In Coren S. Sleep Thieves: An Eye-Opening Exploration into the Science and Mysteries of Sleep. New York: The Free Press; 1996, p. 175.
Latest Publications and Research on Sleep
- Identifying occupation-based needs and services for individuals experiencing homelessness using interviews and photovoice. - Published by PubMed
- Predictors of behaviour change for unhealthy sleep patterns among Indian dental students. - Published by PubMed
- Are long-haul truck drivers unusually alert? A comparison with long-haul airline pilots. - Published by PubMed
- Comprehensive Assessment of Respiratory Complications in Patients with Common Variable Immunodeficiency. - Published by PubMed
- Benzodiazepine exposure induces transcriptional down-regulation of GABAA receptor a1 subunit gene via L-type voltage-gated calcium channel activation in rat cerebrocortical neurons. - Published by PubMed
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Anitha Paderla. (2021, July 28). Sleep - Overview and Definition. Medindia. Retrieved on Jul 02, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/sleep.htm.
Dr. Anitha Paderla. "Sleep - Overview and Definition". Medindia. Jul 02, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/sleep.htm>.
Dr. Anitha Paderla. "Sleep - Overview and Definition". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/sleep.htm. (accessed Jul 02, 2022).
Dr. Anitha Paderla. 2021. Sleep - Overview and Definition. Medindia, viewed Jul 02, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/sleep.htm.