How does skin dry?
- Stratum corneum has water content of nearly 30% and when this content comes down to less than 10% on the outermost layer of skin, the skin becomes dry, rough, and scaly.
- Water is lost through evaporation (Trans Epidermal Water Loss; TEWL) to the atmosphere under low humidity conditions and must be replenished by water from the lower layers of the skin.
- Skin becomes dry due to cleansing, ichthyosis and dermatitis.
- Inadequate sweat glands and oil glands are present with abnormal keratinization.
- Post-burn and surgical scars destroy skin appendages and thin the epidermis.
- Areas radiated with radiation therapies become dry and hence vulnerable to trauma, eczema and ulcers.
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Reeja Tharu. (2016, July 28). Skin disorder - How Does Skin Dry. Medindia. Retrieved on May 25, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/skindisorder_skindry.htm.
Dr. Reeja Tharu. "Skin disorder - How Does Skin Dry". Medindia. May 25, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/skindisorder_skindry.htm>.
Dr. Reeja Tharu. "Skin disorder - How Does Skin Dry". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/skindisorder_skindry.htm. (accessed May 25, 2022).
Dr. Reeja Tharu. 2021. Skin disorder - How Does Skin Dry. Medindia, viewed May 25, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/skindisorder_skindry.htm.
Do you wish to consult a Dermatologist for your problem? Ask your question
3 years experience
Well baby and skin clinic , Prem Nagar, Jhotwara
1 year experience
Venkateshwara med city , U turn before Redhills toll gate and hospital is on the left