Dermatosis is the generic term given to any disease of the skin. Plurally it is referred to as 'dermatoses'. This term should not be confused with dermatitis, which is an inflammation of the skin.
The skin is made up of the outer epidermis, the underlying dermis, and the basement layer, called the hypodermis. The skin helps us to regulate the body temperature and also to sense our surroundings. The Skin acts as an eliminating organ and is, in fact, the largest eliminating organ of the body. Through its pores, the skin excretes several toxins, allergens and other unwanted substances. It weighs about 6-9 pounds and boasts of a surface area of two square yards.
Skin disorders are usually related to the epidermal layer of skin. This layer serves as a barrier to infection -causing agents. Skin diseases which occur secondary to systemic diseases are not included among dermatosis.
Skin diseases are usually caused by infection with viral or bacterial organisms. Another reason for skin diseases is that it can occur due the imbalance in the physiological condition of the skin. Sometimes chemical agents may be responsible for skin diseases and allergies. If there is prolonged contact or contact with excess amount of strong chemicals, it can even result in poisoning. On the other hand, use of appropriate personal protection like gloves or overalls can help protect from developing skin ailments.
List of Common Skin Diseases
Some of the common skin diseases or dermatoses include Acne, Scabies, Warts, Sunburn, Eczema, Psoriasis, Fifth disease or ‘slapped face disease’, Tinea, Pruritus, Herpes, Ulcers, Impetigo, vitiligo and Skin cancer.
Common Skin Diseases in Children
Ringworms, Psoriasis, eczema, chicken pox, measles, cold sore, rosacea, seborrheic eczema, vitiligo, hives, carbuncle, warts, hemangioma of skin, impetigo, heat rash, dermatitis, roseola, hand-foot mouth disease (coxsackie).
Skin conditions are many in number and they can be broadly categorized into the following groups -
- Inflammatory skin disorders
- Viral skin problems
- Bacterial skin problems
- Fungal skin problems
- Pigmentation disorders
- Skin cancers
Latest Publications and Research on Skin Disease
- Palmoplantar Pustulosis: Recent Advances in Etiopathogenesis and Emerging Treatments. - Published by PubMed
- A Phase I dose-escalation, pharmacokinetics and food-effect study of oral donafenib in patients with advanced solid tumours. - Published by PubMed
- An Unusual Case of Modified Lemierre's Syndrome Caused by Staphylococcus aureus Cellulitis. - Published by PubMed
- Goal-oriented monitoring of cyclosporine is effective for graft-versus-host disease prevention after Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation in Sickle Cell Disease and Thalassemia major. - Published by PubMed
- Indian Sarsaparilla (Hemidesmus indicus): Recent progress in research on ethnobotany, phytochemistry and pharmacology. - Published by PubMed
Do you wish to consult a Dermatologist for your problem? Ask your question
5 years experience
7 years experience
14 years experience
Jithesh Skin Clinic , Madurai
5 years experience