Parents And Sex Education
Parents of adolescent boys and girls can play an important role in imparting information on sex - related topics especially in the wake of it being sidelined in schools.
Most often parents feel shy or embarrassed to educate their children about sex. Parents will be happy to learn about the concrete evidence provided by research about the benefits of parental involvement in discussing these essential facts of life.
When parents have educated their children about sex in an environment of openness. Studies have shown that it has enhanced children’s understanding on the subject. Further, children are likely to follow their parents’ advice and approach them in times of difficulty.
Here are a few guidelines for parents to follow in order to be more comfortable with their children during sex education-
- A good age to start having discussions on the topic is when they are most drawn to sexual behaviors during their adolescence.
- It is not only important to teach them the practical aspects of intercourse and pregnancy, but it is important to teach them birth control as well.
Don’t be afraid to talk to your children. Indulging in talks related to sex and drugs help children to judge wisely when they are faced with similar situations.
- Incase you feel afraid or embarrassed to talk to your children, take the help of a medical practitioner to explain these things to your children.
- Children look up to their parents for the right knowledge. Hence it will help them tremendously if the parents get their facts right before talking to their children.
- Always remember, your children’s life decisions could depend on the knowledge you will be sharing with them. Keeping this in mind will help you to overcome any fear or embarrassment you may feel about sex education.