Abhilash was a raring-to-go-youngster. He always dreamt of making it big in life. But he hit the headlines for all the wrong reasons. All of 24, his life came to a grinding halt on that fateful night when his speeding car crashed into a median and toppled. Death struck in split seconds. His dreams never saw the light of day.
This is just one story among a myriad others we read, witness, or hear about regularly. But do we learn our lessons from these incidents?
Apparently not, going by the statistics.
Every hour, 40 budding youth under the age of 25 lose their life in road accidents worldwide. 1.2 million people die in traffic accidents every year(1✔ ✔Trusted Source
GLOBAL STATUS REPORT ON ROAD SAFETY 2018
Go to source). According to the World Health Organization (WHO), road accidents happen to be the second most important cause of death for 5 - 29 year olds.
Road accidents are one of the significant causes of disability, injury and death in the world. The trauma caused by road accidents is unimaginable - physical, mental, financial and many a time irrevocable!
India has the highest road traffic accident rate worldwide with over 140,000
Go to source) Every hour, nearly 14 lives are lost due to road accidents in India.(3✔ ✔Trusted Source
ROAD ACCIDENTS IN INDIA - 2017
Go to source) More than 40 % of the deaths are caused by trucks and two-wheelers(4✔ ✔Trusted Source
A awareness: Prevention, Causes of Road Accidents in India
Go to source). Most accidents occur in the afternoons and during peak hours (especially in the evening) considered an ‘unsafe’ or dangerous time to be on the road. In 67% of these accidents there is head injury. Most people do not wear seat belts or those on two wheelers do not wear a helmet -though it is compulsory in many states of the country. Our traffic conditions are chaotic, the rules are broken all the time and we have no traffic sense. All this reflects in the number of fatal accidents that occur in India. Road traffic accidents have come down in most western countries due to strict adherence to traffic rules and stringent penalties.
Low and middle income countries face the brunt of 90% of fatal road accidents, according to the WHO mortality statistics.(5✔ ✔Trusted Source
Road Traffic Injuries
Go to source) Poor road planning and inadequate protection to pedestrians and cyclists cause road mishaps, besides human error.
- GLOBAL STATUS REPORT ON ROAD SAFETY 2018 - (https://www.who.int/violence_injury_prevention/road_safety_status/2018/GSRRS2018_Summary_EN.pdf)
- 400 Deaths A Day are Forcing India To Take Car Safety Seriously - (https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/politics-and-nation/400-deaths-a-day-are-forcing-india-to-take-car-safety-seriously/articleshow/62439700.cms?from=mdr)
- ROAD ACCIDENTS IN INDIA - 2017 - (http://www.indiaenvironmentportal.org.in/files/file/road%20accidents%20in%20India%202017.pdf)
- A awareness: Prevention, Causes of Road Accidents in India - (https://www.change.org/p/human-rights-campaign-a-awareness-prevention-causes-of-road-accidents-in-india)
- Road Traffic Injuries - (https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/road-traffic-injuries)
- Causes of Road Accidents - (http://jhtransport.gov.in/causes-of-road-accidents.html)
- World report on road traffic injury prevention - (http://siteresources.worldbank.org/EXTTOPGLOROASAF/Resources/WHO_full_report_en.pdf)
- How to prevent road accident - (https://brainly.in/question/4385630)
- Transport - (https://www.indiancye.org/portfolio/transport/)
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Savitha C Muppala. (2020, September 02). Road Traffic Accidents and Road Safety. Medindia. Retrieved on Nov 26, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/road-traffic-accidents-and-road-safety.htm.
Savitha C Muppala. "Road Traffic Accidents and Road Safety". Medindia. Nov 26, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/road-traffic-accidents-and-road-safety.htm>.
Savitha C Muppala. "Road Traffic Accidents and Road Safety". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/road-traffic-accidents-and-road-safety.htm. (accessed Nov 26, 2022).
Savitha C Muppala. 2021. Road Traffic Accidents and Road Safety. Medindia, viewed Nov 26, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/road-traffic-accidents-and-road-safety.htm.
Latest Publications and Research on Road Traffic Accidents and Road Safety
- Driving with undiagnosed obstructive sleep apnea (OSA): High prevalence of OSA risk in drivers who experienced a motor vehicle crash. - Published by PubMed
- Exposure to unsafe mobility: Traveling in the cargo area of pickup trucks in three Mexican cities. - Published by PubMed
- Decreasing Trends in Road Traffic Injury Incidence and Mortality in Nigeria: A Ten-Year Analysis. - Published by PubMed
- A Computational Biomechanics Human Body Model Coupling Finite Element and Multibody Segments for Assessment of Head/Brain Injuries in Car-To-Pedestrian Collisions. - Published by PubMed
- City-Wide Traffic Flow Forecasting Using a Deep Convolutional Neural Network. - Published by PubMed
Do you wish to consult an Emergency Medicine Doctor for your problem? Ask your question
2 years experience
3 years experience
4 years experience
17 years experience