Risk factors for developing gestational diabetes
Women that have the following risk factors must be monitored closely because the entire strength of disease management lies in careful monitoring of the woman during pregnancy, labor and post delivery or post-puerperal period.
The risk factors related to gestational diabetes are-
- Family history of diabetes mellitus
- Poor obstetric history
- Presence of significant glucose excreted in the urine
- Polyhydramnios or excess amniotic fluid
- Large sized fetus
- History of having delivered a baby weighing more than 4 kg
- Maternal age greater than 30 years.
- Recurrent urinary tract infections
- Chronic hypertension