Renal cell carcinoma is kidney cancer that affects the lining of the kidney tubules. The initial stages of the cancer are asymptomatic in most patients and this makes early management of the disease difficult.
Renal cell carcinoma accounts for about 3% of all adult cancers and is also the most common of kidney cancers (90-95%) affecting mostly men, between the ages 50-70 years.
Renal cell carcinoma is commonly seen to affect North Americans and those of Scandinavian ancestry more often than it affects people of Asian or African descent. In the United States, Blacks are more affected than the Whites. Also, the incidence in men is greater than that seen in women. Although the disease is usually detected after age 50, it is seen to occur in young people too who have a family predisposition.
Renal cell carcinoma (RCC) is known for its lack of early symptoms and resistance to treatments such as chemo and radio therapy. However, of late, it has been noticed that these cancers are being detected early and managed through treatments such as thermal ablation, nephron –sparing surgeries, with radical nephrectomy (removal of the kidney and surrounding structures) being the gold standard in treating central and large tumors. Also, targeted therapy is being effectively applied in those with metastatic disease, where the cancer has spread to other parts of the body.
What is new in Renal Cell Carcinoma?
Ibuprofen and other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications apart from aspirin could decrease free survival time for patients with metastatic renal cell carcinoma (mRCC)- a type of renal cancer, finds a new study.
Read more >
Improper sleep may affect patients with chronic kidney diseases, as their health-related quality of life (HRQOL) may get reduced in this process, finds a new study. An adequate amount of sleep is essential for homeostatic regulation (body's ability to control internal environment), while sometimes excess sleep has also been said to harm the Kidney disease patients by causing obesity, diabetes or hypertension.
Read more >
- Barjorin D. Tumors of the kidney, bladder, ureters, and renal pelvis. In: Goldman L, Ausiello D, eds. Cecil Medicine. 24th ed. Philadelphia, Pa: Saunders Elsevier; 2011:chap 2003.
- National Comprehensive Cancer Network. National Comprehensive Cancer Network Clinical Practice Guidelines in Oncology: Kidney Cancer. 2012. Version 1.2012.
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Reeja Tharu. (2018, May 14). Renal Cell Carcinoma-Causes-Risk Factors-Symptoms-Diagnosis-Treatment-Prevention. Medindia. Retrieved on Jun 06, 2023 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/renal-cell-carcinoma.htm.
Dr. Reeja Tharu. "Renal Cell Carcinoma-Causes-Risk Factors-Symptoms-Diagnosis-Treatment-Prevention". Medindia. Jun 06, 2023. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/renal-cell-carcinoma.htm>.
Dr. Reeja Tharu. "Renal Cell Carcinoma-Causes-Risk Factors-Symptoms-Diagnosis-Treatment-Prevention". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/renal-cell-carcinoma.htm. (accessed Jun 06, 2023).
Dr. Reeja Tharu. 2018. Renal Cell Carcinoma-Causes-Risk Factors-Symptoms-Diagnosis-Treatment-Prevention. Medindia, viewed Jun 06, 2023, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/renal-cell-carcinoma.htm.
Latest Publications and Research on Renal Cell Carcinoma
- The Biology of Tumour Evolution in Renal Cell Carcinoma. - Published by PubMed
- [Risk-adapted therapy for metastatic renal cell carcinoma]. - Published by PubMed
- To be or not to be: whether anti-angiogenic agent combined with immune checkpoint inhibitoris necessary in the treatment of advanced or metastatic renal cell carcinoma. - Published by PubMed
- Predicting positive surgical margins in partial nephrectomy: A prospective multicentre observational study (the RECORd 2 project). - Published by PubMed
- Automated body composition analysis of clinically acquired computed tomography scans using neural networks. - Published by PubMed
Do you wish to consult an Oncologist for your problem? Ask your question
23 years experience
15 years experience
Sai Health Care, Shadara, Noida
+ 1 more
10 years experience