Pyloric stenosis is a rare disorder in adults that is caused due to abnormal thickening of pyloric sphincter muscle, thereby narrowing the gastric outlet.
Pyloric stenosis a rare digestive tract disorder in adults is caused due to the abnormal thickening of pyloric sphincter muscle. This is the muscle that surrounds the lower end of the stomach that leads to the intestines. Thus, in pyloric stenosis, the gastric outlet is narrowed and the passage of food into the intestines is obstructed.
Pyloric stenosis is more common in infants than in adults. This is usually a consequence of a congenital defect.
Symptoms occur due to inability of the food to pass easily from the stomach into the intestines. The patient experiences projectile vomiting of partially digested food after eating; the vomitus does not contain bile. In addition the patient also complains of frequent pain in the upper part of the abdomen, early satiety, nausea, loss of appetite and weight loss. At times, non-projectile vomiting and jaundice may occur. Some of the symptoms resemble those of stomach cancer, which has to be ruled out in these patients.(2Idiopathic Hypertrophic Pyloric Stenosis in an Adult, a Potential Mimic of Gastric Carcinoma
Go to source)
The condition is diagnosed using imaging studies and endoscopy. It is treated surgically.
- Pyloric Stenosis - (https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/pyloric-stenosis/symptoms-causes/syc-20351416)
- Idiopathic Hypertrophic Pyloric Stenosis in an Adult, a Potential Mimic of Gastric Carcinoma - (https://www.hindawi.com/journals/pri/2010/614280/#B16)
- Everything You Should Know About Pyloric Stenosis - (https://www.healthline.com/health/pyloric-stenosis)
- Pyloric Stenosis - An Overview - (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyloric_stenosis)
- Adult Idiopathic Hypertrophic Pyloric Stenosis - (https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0929664612003385)
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Simi Paknikar. (2019, December 06). Pyloric Stenosis in Adults - Causes Symptoms Signs Diagnosis Treatment. Medindia. Retrieved on May 19, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/pyloric-stenosis-in-adults.htm.
Dr. Simi Paknikar. "Pyloric Stenosis in Adults - Causes Symptoms Signs Diagnosis Treatment". Medindia. May 19, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/pyloric-stenosis-in-adults.htm>.
Dr. Simi Paknikar. "Pyloric Stenosis in Adults - Causes Symptoms Signs Diagnosis Treatment". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/pyloric-stenosis-in-adults.htm. (accessed May 19, 2022).
Dr. Simi Paknikar. 2021. Pyloric Stenosis in Adults - Causes Symptoms Signs Diagnosis Treatment. Medindia, viewed May 19, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/pyloric-stenosis-in-adults.htm.